With the cold weather and perhaps the barbecue covered in snow on the deck and everyone being crunched for time, the slow cooker can become your best friend. Set it on LOW and 6 hours later, you can have a healthy, hearty and flavorful meal. Switching from ground beef to ground chicken or turkey without compromising flavor, the Lazy Cabbage Rolls recipe is sure to be a hit while at the same time you can smile inside knowing that the meal is low fat and low calorie. It is packed with that comforting flavor of cabbage rolls minus the need to roll individual cabbage rolls, hence the name ‘Lazy’!
2 lbs. ground turkey or chicken
1 tsp. olive oil or coconut oil
4 c. shredded cabbage
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 c. white or brown rice, uncooked
2 large cans diced tomatoes
1 c. chicken broth
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp. sugar (*optional)
3 bay leaves
1/4 c. parsley, chopped
Plain Greek yogurt
- With the olive oil or coconut oil, brown the ground turkey or chicken in a pan.
- Place half of the chopped cabbage on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the cooked meat.
- Spread the onion and garlic on top of the meat.
- Add the uncooked rice.
- In a separate bowl, combine tomatoes (include the liquid from the can), chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, sugar (optional), salt and pepper. Pour on top of rice.
- Add the bay leaves.
- Lastly, add the remaining cabbage.
- Cook for 4 hours on HIGH or 6 hours on LOW.
- Once cooked, remove and discard bay leaves.
- Mix all the layers and serve with Greek yogurt and parsley for garnish on top.