Everyone has their own ‘comfort food’ and I know for many it’s good old macaroni and cheese. Here’s a recipe of the classic favorite that’s been updated to incorporate some lean protein and tastes way better than what comes out of a box.
- 1 package (8 or 10 oz) of Whole Wheat Elbow/Macaroni pasta
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 lbs. Ground Turkey (or chicken)
- 1 cup chopped Bell Peppers
- 1 large can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dried Basil
- 1 tbsp ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp dried Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup Cottage Cheese
- 1 cup low-fat Cheddar Cheese
- Heat the oven to 350.
- Cook the macaroni and drain. Set aside.
- Saute onion in olive oil over medium high until translucent, about 3 – 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add peppers, ground turkey (or chicken), basil, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until turkey is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and the tomatoes and cottage cheese.
- Combine the macaroni and the mixture and spread in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top with the cheddar cheese and bake, uncovered, for approximately 20 minutes.