Weight is an issue most people deal with at one point in their lives. 44 million Americans are estimated to go on a diet each year, while 49.1% of the adult population tried to lose weight in some other way. Weight issues know no gender, body type, nationality or race. For weight loss tips, many like to turn to the experts – bodybuilders have been controlling their weight gain and loss to infinitesimal degrees, with massive success. Let’s explore a few ways you can boost your own weight loss, by incorporating several professional and readily available products.
Why Whey Protein Powder?
Studies show that whey protein powder has an array of amino acids proven to absorb more quickly, and help increase strength, muscle mass and reduce a significant amount of body fat. Protein might be the most studied supplement in the world – let’s explore its uses.
Whey protein is a by-product of cheese production. Milk contains two main proteins: casein (80%) and whey (20%). Whey protein is then flavored for easy introduction into drinks and food, an easy way to top off your daily protein intake. There are three types of whey protein: concentrate, isolate and hydrolysate. Let’s explore their unique properties.
· Concentrate is 70-80% protein, tastes great and has both lactose and fat.
· Isolate sits at 90% protein or more, and lacks some of the nutrition found in concentrate.
· Hydrolysate has been pre-digested, allowing it to absorb faster and cause an average 35% spike in insulin levels. This is the best option for people who can’t tolerate the concentrated power of whey.
What is BCAA Protein Powder?
Protein supplements are great for boosting both protein and BCAA – Branch Chain Amino Acid, intake. Adding more BCAA to your diet, means healthier tendons, organs, skin and hair. There are three types of BCAAs: leucine, valine and isoleucine – together making up the 9 essential amino acids that our bodies need, but must get from food. BCAAs are important because they are metabolized in muscle tissue, not the liver, leading many to believe that they likely promote muscle growth or recovery.
Meal Replacement Powder
Many people turn to a meal replacement powder for weight loss. They taste great, and are easy to add to a smoothie or drink for energy, on-the-go. Try for an all-in-one meal replacement powder, with a protein blend that includes meat, eggs and legumes. The best meal replacement products will also give you a serving of grain, fruit and veggies, superfoods and things like potassium and calcium.
Casein protein lasts longer in your system, and is digested slower, giving you a steady stream of nutrients over a longer period, over a fast, powerful blast. Studies show that casein plays a role in building muscle mass , improving metabolic rate, and building greater strength, faster. The best casein products will have a slow-release option, enzyme activated protein absorption, and no non-protein acids.
Caffeine has long been known to have effects on weight, making it a great combo product with proteins. Caffeine alone will increase calorie burn by 1 calorie for every mg of caffeine. It also tricks your mind into thinking you haven’t truly exerted yourself during exercise, letting you go just a bit longer than yesterday, and increasing your fat burning potential. Caffeine also has the added benefit of increasing focus and energy, and adding to mental alertness and clarity, along with helping with weight loss.
Weight Loss Properties of Protein Powder
1. Regular protein intake can help expend 80-100 calories per day, and typically lowers caloric intake by around 400 calories per day.
2. Filling up on proteins is easy, and replacing 25% of daily calorie intake is proven to reduce unhealthy cravings by up to 60%!
3. Replacing calorie sources with whey protein can reduce your weight by around 8 pounds, while increasing the amount of lean muscle.
4. A protein heavy diet is proven to lower weight-dependent issues like blood pressure, blood sugar, and can even reduce the symptoms associated with depression and anxiety, a source of weight gain for many people.
5.Protein has been shown to have a huge effect on weight hormones within the body, producing less hunger hormones and more appetite-reducing hormones like GLP-1 and PYY.
What protein powder is best for weight loss?
How do you know what your best option for weight loss is? With so many different products, features study’s and nutrition experts to listen too, it’s hard to know what will work best for your body. The first step will be speaking to your doctor, or a nutritionist to ensure your plan is healthy. Here are your next 5 steps:
1. Look at the other ingredients in your chosen powder, to ensure you are getting the amino acids you need, and the fat-burning power you need.
2. Make sure your powder has at least 20 grams of protein per serving for maximum weight loss.
3. Decide if you need a concentrate, isolate or hydrolysate protein powder, depending on your needs.
4. Look at the macro and caloric breakdown to ensure you are getting the proper amount of carbohydrates and fat from your powder.
5. Don’t forget the flavor! Powders come in many great flavors, and you don’t need to choke down the chocolate if that isn’t your thing. Get the flavor you want!
Using Protein Powder Safely
The first thing to remember when choosing a whey protein powder, is that it is a byproduct of dairy, meaning it may not be good for someone with a dairy allergy. Doctors recommend 1-2 scoops of protein powder per day, combined with physical exercise. Make sure you check the labels for any unnecessary or unhealthy sugars that could undermine your efforts. Eating too much protein can often cause nausea, diarrhea, pain or cramping, and if you feel any of these affects you should stop your diet and contact your doctor.
We all know that bodybuilders and weight trainers use protein as a primary vehicle for weight loss while maintaining muscle mass. But a look down the weight training rabbit hole shows a confusing tangle of measurements, shifting intake and output, and a complex exercise regimen. As a layperson, it is possible to take the most effective of these products and practices, and incorporate them into our own weight loss strategy. For more information on the best protein supplement options for your weight loss needs, turn to AllMax today.